One of the biggest hurdles I need to overcome as a writer is trying to convince a potential client (even after they’ve contacted me) that they need my services. “What’s so hard about writing a website?” they ask in mocking disgust at my measly quote, “I could do it, if I had the time”. Well, yes, you could certainly write something. But, you should probably let me. Here’s why:
- I’ve got my grammar going on – I know it and I know it well. This is a really important part of having a website that sells your product rather than distracting the reader with badly composed (or, even worse, incorrectly spelt) information.
- I understand what Google and similar search engines want in a website in terms of search engine optimisation (SEO). This gives your site a much better chance of ranking well, which means that far more people will stumble upon it.
- You’re paying me to do it, which means that you only sign it off when you’re 100% happy with it.
- I have training (in the form of university degrees) as well as years of experience. So, when I write, it’s backed by a solid foundation, which translates to a better quality of writing as well as focus on your product and / or service.
- Copywriting = marketing. Very valuable marketing.
- Outsourcing gives you more time to do what you do best.
So, if you want effective copy – written in a way that promotes, informs and entices – hire a professional copywriter.